Respiratory Therapist/Husband's breathing difficulty

Question
Hello. I am writing you because my husband who is 67 yrs. old is having a problem, but he will not go to the doctor. I will try to be as specific as possible regarding his symptoms.
In November of 2012 he got a terrible respiratory virus that was going around which left him with a cough for weeks. He was a pack a day smoker and quit cold turkey. During the time of his virus he began to experience difficulty in breathing. He says it feels like it's harder to breath. Like he is more aware of his breathing than it just being a natural thing. He would go outside and walk around, and this seemed to make him feel better. I have noticed that when he gets this feeling I don't detect it in his voice (like shortness of breath) or in his respirations. I have also noticed that he can go outside and cut an acre of lawn with a rotary mower, cut wood and landscape the neighbor's lawn without any difficulty. These episodes seem to manifest themselves in the evening, although he has had it a couple of times in the morning. He has about 3 or 4 beers a day, and also gets acid reflux which he treats with baking soda in water, which helps. He is not overweight. I think I have covered about everything. Any help you can give me will be greatly appreciated.

Answer
Hello Mary,

Thank you for entrusting me with your husband's personal health concerns. I will try to be as helpful as possible. As a long-term pack-a-day smoker, he may be at risk for a family of medical conditions referred to as COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease). Additionally, the medical issues you raised could be consistent with one of many possible cardiac disease processes, such as CHF (congestive heart failure) or CAD (coronary artery disease), all of which can manifest with episodic shortness of breath.  Unfortunately, there is not more more I can tell you in terms of specifics... he needs to swallow his pride and go see his physician.

Respiratory Therapist

Larry W. Wical, BA-RRT