Respiratory Therapist/Chest Vibration

Question
Dear Stephanie

In February 2013 i got chest infection, from that time i feel minor vibration on left lung from back when i inhale, i visited my family physian who is chest specialist, he checked my chest many time and said it is clear, i have no cough, no mucus, no asthma, no smoking. pls advise me, this vibration which i feel can be result of damaged alveli.

Regards
Zafar Iqbal

Answer
Hi Zafar,

I do not really know the nature of the vibrations you are experiencing or whether they are in the area where your infection occurred but I do know that some respiratory infections can have varied residual effects for quite a long time. If the vibration is in the area of your infection it is possible that some subtle structural and or functional alterations have caused the affected area of the lung to be out sync with the unaffected area in some way or otherwise stressed in a way that feels like vibration to you. And, in some cases nerves in the area can become hypersensitive as result of inflammatory processes during an infection and respond to lower than normal levels of stimuli so that it may feel like more is happening than really is. Other times the sensations can be referred from another area  to the area in which they are felt. The healing process itself also can create some weird itchy, kind of vibrational effects as well.

Ultimately, there are probably many possibilities or combinations and it could even be unrelated to the infection but my guess is that the sensation is not due to permanently damaged alveoli. I would give it more time if there are no urgent reasons not to and maybe keep a record of the situation, without focusing on it, so you can see how it changes or improves over time. It may disappear without you even noticing it....hopefully. Meanwhile, eat and drink to maintain optimum immune health so that you can heal better and faster and avoid inhaled chemicals such air fresheners, and cleaning products etc. as much as possible.

Best wishes for a quick and complete resolution in this matter.

Stephanie  

Respiratory Therapist

Stephanie Tyrrell