Respiratory Therapist/ct results

I had act in 2009 that said emphysemous changes . I than had a function test done and was told I was fine and did not have emphysema.They told me I had severe anxiety.Since than I have been pretty active but recently I have had some severe anxiety and now I started thinking about those results and how I will suffer and possibly not have a real life. I quite smoking in 2007 and was a heavy smoker. At the time I thought I would have a normal life but now I am thinking about the ct scan and how my life could be ruined and im scared. The internet says you can die in 5 yrs and will suffer and all sorts of stuff.I was injoying my freedom and being active and now im depressed.

Hello Nadine,

Thank you so much for reaching out to me, I hope I can be of some assistance today. It is not abnormal at all to have some signs of emphysematous changes in your chest CT if you have a smoking history. What matters more than anything is how youre lungs actually function. If your lung function tests are all somewhat normal, you should be fine as long as you are able to get your anxiety under control. There is a term we use called "psychosomatic breathing disorder" which is a term that can be used for patients with stable lung function but get very anxious to the point of creating labored breathing. Find some ways to get the anxiety under control, try slow deep breathing, meditation, tai chi, yoga...activities that teach you to embrace a more relaxed breathing pattern. I hope this helps.

To Your Health,

Larry W, RRT  

Respiratory Therapist

Larry W. Wical, BA-RRT

I CAN answer: ALL questions and queries related to the following topics... - Oxygen - Asthma - COPD - Bronchitis - Emphysema - Pneumonia (Viral/Bacterial) - Tuberculosis (TB) - SARS - Influenza (Flu) - Vaccines - Pulmonary Embolism - Pleural Effusion - Atelectasis - Inhalation injuries (burns, chemicals, etc.) - PFTs - Cardiovascular health - Sleep Apnea - BiPap/CPAP - Ventilators (Respirators) - Aspiration injuries - Thoracic injuries - Lung contusions - Tracheal injuries - Artificial Tracheostomy - Secretions - Prolotherapy/Regenerative Injection Therapy (RIT): A patient's experience/perspective - General health and fitness - Prolotherapy (from a patient's perspective) I CANNOT answer: Questions that vary too far from my primary scope of pulmonary and cardiovascular care and fitness. I promise to be open and honest about my knowledge of submitted topics, and will always openly provide my personal as well as professional feedback as it relates.

Registered Respiratory Therapist (RRT, RCP) since 2005. I have worked primarily in the acute care, critical care, burn care and home care settings.

NBRC - National Board of Respiratory Care AARC - American Association of Respiratory Care

-All About Kids Magazine -The Clermont Sun -Cincy Sports & Fitness Magazine -Many online Fitness and Health blogs and "webazines"

- B.A. in Communication (1997) - A.A.S. in Respiratory Science (2005) - RRT license (state of OH, KY and IN) - Basic Life Saving (BLS) - Advanced Cardiovascular Life Support (ACLS) - Advanced Burn Life Support (ABLS)

Currently work in the city's largest academic/research hospital.