Respiratory Therapist/Bronchitis

Question
I am 21 year old college student and about a week and half I was diagnosed with bronchitis and was given a inhaler to take well I wasn't getting better at all so I went back 4 days later and was given a z pack and prednisone . It seemed to help for two days then I got worse again for two days and then I got better for two days and now I have started to get worse again . I have a very persistent cough,chest tightness, fatigue, headache, and a mucus producing cough. I also have shortness of breath at times and sometimes I feel like I am not getting enough air.  Could this still be lingering bronchitis or is this something else ?

Answer
Hi Marie,

Thank you for entrusting me tonight with your personal health care-related question. As I understand the question, you are wondering if your on-again/off-again Bronchitis could be something else.  My short answer is..."Maybe, maybe not."  I wish I could give you more advice, but this service isn't really set up to formally diagnose or offer alternative diagnoses for patients who have been seen by a Board-certified physician. That being said, I WILL say all of the symptoms you are describing sound to me like how I felt when I had "walking Pneumonia" years ago. Did you receive your Flu shot this year? Did the doctor perform a "Strep Test" or a "Flu Swab" test? I am seeing TONS of H1N1 cases where I work, and MANY of them are otherwise young, healthy people who just simply were not vaccinated. So that's something to consider. With both Pneumonia and the Flu, some patients have fevers and some don't, so it is making diagnosing a challenge for doctors. But I would start there...if you were vaccinated, I would "assume" it's not the Flu and could just be a raging Cold virus that hates you. This has been an odd Winter...lots of people getting sick that normally don't.    

All the best,

Larry, RRT

Respiratory Therapist

Larry W. Wical, BA-RRT