Respiratory Therapist/SCARED OF FLUES

Dear Larry.
I am a 60 year old women from Australia. I usually have above average lung capacity of FVC120 FEV1,100 TO 107 AND PEF  84 to 86,I have just caught the flue and I own my own spirometer which has been checked and passed by the Specialist ,The Doctor is very impressed with my lung capacity and says that I am very blessed with this capacity seeing I suffer from bronchial asthma, today I did my spirometer today and my FVC WAS 120 MY FEV1
89 AND PEF 72,SO my FEV1 is down, should I take antibiotics that was prescribed by Doctor, as I feel it is a virus, is it normal for your FEV1 TO GO DOWN WHEN YOU HAVE THE FLUE? What breathing exercising can I do that may help? and will drinking hot water help, any help would be appreciated. I have smoked between  and 10 cigarettes a day, .I have a terrible fear of death.
Thank you

Hello there! Yes, I would expect your FEV1 to suffer a little bit, as the Influenza virus is a serious pulmonary illness for everyone, but especially children and the elderly. I don't consider 60 "old", but the medical establishment defines 60 as a "Senior", so your lungs (and thus your FEV1) are more likely to be compromised when sick. If you smoke...stop! It adds literally nothing to your health, and only leads to problems. Make sure you drink plenty of water and/or tea, make sure you are taking a reputable multi-vitamin for seniors and rest as much as possible until you are through this virus. An anti-biotic is normally NOT indicated for a virus, but some doctors prescribe it for older patients if they suspect the patient also has a bit of a bacterial pneumonia with the Flu.  I hope this helps!

Best of health,

Larry W, RRT

Respiratory Therapist

Larry W. Wical, BA-RRT

I CAN answer: ALL questions and queries related to the following topics... - Oxygen - Asthma - COPD - Bronchitis - Emphysema - Pneumonia (Viral/Bacterial) - Tuberculosis (TB) - SARS - Influenza (Flu) - Vaccines - Pulmonary Embolism - Pleural Effusion - Atelectasis - Inhalation injuries (burns, chemicals, etc.) - PFTs - Cardiovascular health - Sleep Apnea - BiPap/CPAP - Ventilators (Respirators) - Aspiration injuries - Thoracic injuries - Lung contusions - Tracheal injuries - Artificial Tracheostomy - Secretions - Prolotherapy/Regenerative Injection Therapy (RIT): A patient's experience/perspective - General health and fitness - Prolotherapy (from a patient's perspective) I CANNOT answer: Questions that vary too far from my primary scope of pulmonary and cardiovascular care and fitness. I promise to be open and honest about my knowledge of submitted topics, and will always openly provide my personal as well as professional feedback as it relates.

Registered Respiratory Therapist (RRT, RCP) since 2005. I have worked primarily in the acute care, critical care, burn care and home care settings.

NBRC - National Board of Respiratory Care AARC - American Association of Respiratory Care

-All About Kids Magazine -The Clermont Sun -Cincy Sports & Fitness Magazine -Many online Fitness and Health blogs and "webazines"

- B.A. in Communication (1997) - A.A.S. in Respiratory Science (2005) - RRT license (state of OH, KY and IN) - Basic Life Saving (BLS) - Advanced Cardiovascular Life Support (ACLS) - Advanced Burn Life Support (ABLS)

Currently work in the city's largest academic/research hospital.