Respiratory Therapist/Daytime apnea like symptoms

Question
Hello -

Most of my life (am 33 now) I have noticed that I have what I would describe as "apnea" breathing patterns throughout the day. By this I mean, I feel like I breath normally for a few minutes, but then my breathing will stop for anywhere from, say, 5 to 60 seconds, then kick back in a slight 'grunt' sound. Almost like a light throat clearing sound.

This behavior doesn't seem to cause me problems, per se. I am a healthy and fit individual. Though, I do suffer from what I would classify as excessive daytime fatigue, and a lack of memory/concentration. Perhaps related?

I would like to know if a breathing pattern as I've described is a known condition, and if seeing a specialist is warranted.

I am a non-smoker.

Thank you.

Answer
Hi Eric,

THANK YOU for entrusting me with your interesting medical question today! Lemme see if I can help.  So I assume you mean can you experience "apnea" while awake, not asleep, in the daytime. Yes is not entirely common, but it is possible. This is usually something called Central Apnea, which is caused by a malfunctioning of the brain's respiratory center and/or a malfunction of the normal oxygen and carbon dioxide interchange which tells us to breath or exhale. Sometimes it is not necessarily secondary to any abnormality of the brain or other organ system which affect the oxygen ratios (heart disease, for example). If you were to get a formal sleep study to see what is really going on, and you have an Apnea/Hypopnea index that is abnormally high, then you may need to be treated, preferably with CPAP therapy (continuous positive airway pressure) or Bi-level PAP. You should also be checked out to see if you have any abnormality of your lungs.

I hope this helps!

In good health,

Larry, BA-RRT

Respiratory Therapist

Larry W. Wical, BA-RRT