Respiratory Therapist/COPD?

Question
hello,
My brother in law has been a smoker for many years and is also a deisel mechanic so he deals with asbestos in truck brakes. He was diagnosed with COPD several months ago and was put on a maintenance inhaler and given a rescue inhaler. He has shown some improvement, so the doctor says it can't be COPD because COPD never improves. Is this correct? If so, can you suggest what other breathing disorders he should be screened for, anything that would fit his symptoms: dyspnea, coughing, excessive phlegm at times, wheezing, and hypoxia? He has a history of allergies but no history of asthma, and he is 39 years old.
Thank you for your help,
Amy

Answer
Hi Amy,

A 39-year-old COPDer? That is VERY young to be disagnosed with COPD. As a disease, COPD is not "curable" but it highly "treatable." Patients with COPD can often have their sypmptoms treated with maintenance and rescue inhalers as wellas a healthy diet and exercise, but the condition does not generally "improve." The only way to STOP COPD from worsening is to STOP the behaviour that caused it. If he hasn't stopped smoking, he needs to ASAP or his symptoms WILL continue to worsen.  

Respiratory Therapist

Larry W. Wical, BA-RRT