Resume Help/Management consulting interviews.

How should a candidate prepare for a management consulting interviews? Case interview will be on of the section, can you suggest on what are the other things that the candidate should look on.

Thank you.

ANSWER: Hi Nikhil,

I want to help all that I can here, but I truly don't understand your question.  The phrase "... interview will be on of the section..." doesn't make grammatical sense so I don't understand what you are trying to tell me with that.  If you'd like to rephrase your question, I will be happy to respond with some specifics.

For now, I will give you information that I pass along to those who take my workshop.  Preparing for any interview is the most crucial aspect of the process.  You need to know more about the company than they know about themselves.  You need to research the company history, the names and roles of the top officers (and download photos if possible), awards or other recognition, news articles about the company, P&L statements, etc.  Remember that any interview is not about you.  It's about what you can do to solve the company's problem.  Their problem is that they need to hire the best possible person to fill the job that is open.  You must relate all your qualifications and background to the requirements and needs of that position.  Everything you say in an interview should demonstrate that you know the company well and that the skills you possess will allow you to be a better fit for that company than anyone else.

I hope this helps a bit.  But, as I say, if you'd like to rephrase your question and give me more specific information about the job you are seeking, I will be happy to look at a follow-up message from you.

Best wishes,

QUESTION: How do i prepare myself for a "management consulting" interviews? Most of the management consulting companies will ask "Estimate" kind of questions. And i want to know what are the other areas i need to concentrate before attending the interviews of management consultancies.

And i hope the question is clear.

Hi Nikhil,

There are dozens of specific questions that companies may choose to ask interviewees.  Obviously, we can't discuss every one of them here.  But what I can do is provide you with the four categories of questions that generally govern the specifics selected by an interviewer.  The four broad categories are what I call the "Four Cs": Competence, Character, Commitment, Creativity.  The first category contains questions that measure your qualifications to do the job in question.  Your character and disposition to types of behavior are determined in the Character category.  Commitment measures personal and professional goals.  Creativity determines your level of confidence and your ability to think on your feet.

Some examples:  A Competence question might be "Tell us about your experience dealing with __________"  They want to gauge your background in a certain aspect of the job.  A common Character question is "Tell us about the worst boss you ever had."  The goal here is to see if you'll trash a previous employer.  Don't.  "Where do you see yourself professionally in five years?" will help an employer determine what direction you have set for yourself on your career path.  A Creativity or Confidence question might be "How would you respond to a situation in which ________" and they proceed to describe a difficult workplace scenario.

The trick here is not to figure out which questions you'll be asked but rather prepare for the questions based on the four categories I have described.  Write down as many questions as you can think of that go in each category and then rehearse your responses.  Here is the key to this process: every response must, in some way, impress the employer with the fact that you have properly prepared.  You do this by the research that I outlined in my previous answer to you and by matching your question responses to the job announcement.  In other words, the job announcement will give you the qualifications the employer is seeking.  Every answer to every question in the interview should be phrased in a way that demonstrates that you have a skill that matches a qualification listed in the job announcement.  That is how you determine your response to each question.  You tell the employer what you can do better than anyone else and you make it clear that what you can do is a perfect match for what they  need.

If you don't practice and rehearse these responses, however, it will appear that you will be "winging it" and that's what most applicants do.  They try to fake their way through the most important part of the job search because they have failed to adequately prepare.  Don't do that.  Set yourself apart from the other 300 applicants by doing your homework.  Research and practice.  Remember - if an employer determines that you have not done your research and have not adequately prepared, why should they hire you?  They will be thinking that if you didn't prepare for the interview, you probably won't prepare yourself in your day-to-day job tasks.  A reasonable assumption.

I recommend you practice your responses with a friend who will give you honest feedback about how your answers come across (including the non-verbal or body language aspects).   

Good luck!

Resume Help

Ralph D. Converse, Ph.D.

I can answer questions about general job searches, resume construction, crafting an effective cover letter, and how to prepare for, and conduct, a winning interview. My speciality is the field of education, but I also have extensive background in business and administration. I know what works and what doesn't work and I can make your application package stand out from the rest ... because that is what you have to do.

I have interviewed for, and held, dozens of jobs in a career going back more than 42 years. I have taught at all educational levels including middle school, high school, community college, and university. In more than 42 years of experience on both sides of the job-search process, I have interviewed hundreds of applicants and have reviewed literally tens of thousands of job application packages. I am the author of 12 Mistakes That Got Your Job Application Rejected ... And How To Fix Them! I conduct workshops for job seekers in a variety of locations every year.

Music Educator's Journal, Teaching Music, Music and American Culture (forthcoming, 2013), Last Teacher Standing: The Job is Yours Now! and 12 Mistakes That Got Your Job Application Rejected ... And How To Fix Them!

B.A. New Mexico State University; M.Mus. Southern Illinois University; Ph.D. University of California and University of North Texas

Thousands of individuals