Resume Help/Need help applying for a job

Question
Hi Torski Dobson-Arnold,
I want to apply for this job but it requires the availability from M-F 9-1pm. Being a college student i know that i will not be available on Monday and Wednesday every week. To apply for this job i would have to e-mail them my resume and cover letter. I really want to get this job because other than the issue i mentioned above it is a great fit for someone like me who want to work part-time along with studies. I am confused on how to mention this issue to the hiring people. I know that talking about hour limit of my availability is very inappropriate before even i get hired. On the other hand, dishonesty will remain there otherwise. I am stuck and need some help on how and where to mention this problem. Should i mention it in the cover letter or in my e-mail. how can i let them know about the issue the most positive way possible?
Thanks in advance.

Answer
Urooj,

Being a college student myself a few years ago, I totally understand your predicament.

You can approach this scenario from one of two ways.

You could call the company and speak with the recruiter and/or hiring manager to ask if there is ANY flexibility in the schedule and proceed to plead you case over the phone based on being the ideal candidate and aligning with all of the required and preferred qualifications for the job

OR

You could submit your resume and cover letter highlighting yourself as a problem solver and value-added contributor to the team. Get the interview and then proceed, at the end of the meeting, to share your conflict with the work schedule and your class times. However in sharing this information, you will need to proactively brainstorm how you might go about getting the job done around those times you are not physically in the office, so as to showcase your problem-solving skills.

I prefer the 2nd option because I know from experience as a former HR professional, that you have more leverage when you are speaking to someone face-to-face versus on a telephone call.

I hope this helps!

Claiming nothing but success in all of your career endeavors,

Torski
America's Top Career Confidence Coach  

Resume Help

Torski Dobson-Arnold