Resume Help/Resume

Hello Dr. Converse, My name is James Carroll. I am a twenty four year old male who is graduating from college in May. I have a four year degree in politics, education, and sociology. It is called an "Individualized Major" and the title of it is "Educational Advocacy." The career field I am interested in is the resort industry, more particularly something to do with dealing with a youth program within the resort. Youth programs at a resort or on a cruise would be ideal however I would also be happy working at a resort and working my way through the ranks. If you would like to see my resume, provide me with your email and I will send it as All Experts doesn't allow attachments. Right now I just need some direction in writing an effective cover letter as well as finding possible employers to contact and send my application package. I appreciate your time.

Hi James,

A bit of background may help to begin with.  My company helps people from all over the world in their job search, but our consulting service is limited to the application process.  Because there are literally thousands of job types available (and more being developed all the time), it really isn't possible for us to be of much help in locating employers and available jobs.  That part of the process is something I will have to leave to your expertise (or perhaps those among the faculty of the school from which you will graduate).  What I can help you with is the part of the search that involves the application, resume, cover letter, interview issues, etc.

If you would like me to assist you in those areas, you are welcome to send documents to

Part of what we provide is a complimentary analysis of your resume and cover letter, so if you would like me to provide you some feedback on your documents, send them to me and put "Resume" and/or "Cover Letter" in the subject line(s) of the emails.  That way I won't accidentally delete them as spam.  Once I have a chance to review them, I'll get back to you with my thoughts.  When I get back to you I'll also give you some options as to how we can proceed to give you an application package that is the best it can be.  Normally, when I do job-search workshops, we cover a number of different issues for the participants that help them set themselves apart from the normally large pool of applicants that go after each job.  It is one of the major areas of focus that I address in both the workshops and in the books that I have written on this subject.

So, I'll look forward to receiving your emails and get this process started in the right direction for you!

Resume Help

Ralph D. Converse, Ph.D.

I can answer questions about general job searches, resume construction, crafting an effective cover letter, and how to prepare for, and conduct, a winning interview. My speciality is the field of education, but I also have extensive background in business and administration. I know what works and what doesn't work and I can make your application package stand out from the rest ... because that is what you have to do.

I have interviewed for, and held, dozens of jobs in a career going back more than 42 years. I have taught at all educational levels including middle school, high school, community college, and university. In more than 42 years of experience on both sides of the job-search process, I have interviewed hundreds of applicants and have reviewed literally tens of thousands of job application packages. I am the author of 12 Mistakes That Got Your Job Application Rejected ... And How To Fix Them! I conduct workshops for job seekers in a variety of locations every year.

Music Educator's Journal, Teaching Music, Music and American Culture (forthcoming, 2013), Last Teacher Standing: The Job is Yours Now! and 12 Mistakes That Got Your Job Application Rejected ... And How To Fix Them!

B.A. New Mexico State University; M.Mus. Southern Illinois University; Ph.D. University of California and University of North Texas

Thousands of individuals