Resume Help/cover letter

Question
Hi! Could correct a cover letter i did to apply for a job? Thank you very much!

Dear Sir or Madam,
I am writing in regards to the foreign languages teacher position listed in --- on June, 18th.

I am french and I will spend my third year of university in Sydney, UTS. My interest in foreign languages made me chose to undertake a bachelor degree in English and Italian, which has made my knowledge in the english and italian language and culture improve a lot.
In the meantime, I have taken care of children of different ages. This was a great experience for me and it made me even more confident about my ambition to work with children.
This job would be a great opportunity for me to combine two things I really enjoy doing : helping people with learning a new language and working with children.

I will be in Sydney from july 20th and I will stay there for at least a year. My student visa allows me to work for a maximum of 20 hours per week.

I would like to thank you for considering my application for this position.  Please feel free to contact me for further information. My contact details are on my resume. The phone number I indicated is my french one, I will get an Australian one when I arrive.

Yours sincerely,

Answer
Justine,

I'm glad to help out. Like most HR people, I do not believe in using a cover letter since it is nothing more than duplication of information that is in the resume itself. Many HR people tell me that they do not even look at the cover letter.

With this in mind, I suggest you place greater emphasis upon your resume (which I would be happy to evaluate to make it more effective.

A few important things to remember about a resume:

1. it is intended to gain an interview NOT a job,

2. should be confined to a single page, and

3. contain a very specific explanation of the position you are seeking.

4. Use this format:

Personal Information, Specific Objective, Educational Background, Occupational Background, References (do not use friends or relatives).

Write your resume with these points in mind, and I shall be glad to look it over.

Good luck,

Jerry Leone

Resume Help

Jerry Leone