Resume Help/Resume help

Question
Hi Torski,

I want to start a career in Human Resources. I've been in teaching and hotels my entire life.
Is my resume suitable to get into the HR field? Could you help me with my resume?
I have had so many jobs in teaching and hotels -- that I grouped them together. Further down the list is my sales position. The sales position "dates" overlap with my bellman "dates" because I worked 2 jobs at the same time at period in my life. Should I leave sales off the resume? Need help.

TODD W. Johnson
142 E. Ankeny St
Phoenix, AZ 85325

PROFESSIONAL EMPLOYMENT
Teacher / Assistant Teacher    
Des Moines Public Schools, Des Moines, IA 11/07 - Present   
Pinellas Park Middle School, St. Petersburg, FL
Pinellas County Schools, St. Petersburg, FL

Developed innovative curriculum to instruct students
Managed classroom of +40 students
Implemented high-level lesson plans
Launched a Wellness Committee to improve healthy lifestyles
Established positive relationships with students, parents and colleagues

Bellman / Concierge        

Bayfront Hilton Hotel, St. Petersburg, FL 9/94 - 11/07
Hotel Edgewater, Seattle, WA
Sunburst Hotel, Scottsdale, AZ
Tempe Mission Palms Hotel, AZ

Greeted guests in a friendly manner
Increased hotel productivity by providing team support
Streamlined guest service system
Proficient in OnQ, Microsoft Word, Office, XP, 7, Vista, Powerpoint, Outlook, Excel,
Handled as many as +200 customer contacts a day

Sales Professional       
Suntasia Marketing, St. Petersburg, FL 06/02 - 11/03

Increased territory sales from less than $1 million to $2.2 million within two years
Generated qualified sales leads and appointments for new business
Added new customers while maintaining premium service with existing account
Exceeded quotas by 12% in 2002 and 15% in 2003

EDUCATION
Bachelor of Arts in Social Science
University of South Florida, 2005

Associates of Arts in Psychology
Daytona Beach Community College, 1993

Answer
Todd,

This is a HOT mess!

In order to appeal potentially to recruiter and hiring managers in HR, you need to reconstruct your resume to speak to the problem they need to solve in that industry and how you can do that. Your resume lacks the breadth and depth needed to be placed in even the "maybe" pile of candidates.

Should you opt to invest in your career success and hire a career coach, my firm Your Career Confidence, LLC would be more than happy to send you a quote for services.

If you prefer to try this by yourself, which is going to be tough given ehat you've done with this, I would aggressively look to partner with current HR professionals who can provide you some insight as to how you are missing the mark.

Claiming nothing but success in all of your career endeavors,

Torski Dobson-Arnold
"America's Top Career Confidence Coach"

Resume Help

Torski Dobson-Arnold