Resume Help/Confidentiality when asking for help with your CV

Question
QUESTION: Dear Lisa,

I find that there are some people/services who would assess your CV for a fee.

Is it a good idea to send them your CV plus the info on the job that you applying for?

My sincere thanks,

ANSWER: Hi Tony,

Yes, you are right. There are plenty of services that will assess your current document for a fee and many others that will provide you with a basic review for free. Before selecting a service, be sure to conduct your research on the organization.

Make sure you select a provider that holds one or more credentials in career development and resume or CV writing from the most popular, certifying organizations (NRWA, CDI, PARW, and the Resume Writing Academy).

To help answer your question, a basic review of your data will rarely include the target job announcement, as a basic review is designed to identify and suggest significant areas for improvement. These reviews can be short and sweet or very lengthy, and may cover every subject from formatting, writing style, online compatibility, and potential strategy to support your career field.       

However, if the provider understands your goals right up front, they will either provide you with a more in-depth review at the start, or offer additional fee based services to revamp your project just for that opportunity.      

Does this help answer your question?  

Lisa

QUESTION: May I ask if there is a fair price for this service? How do I know if the price is reasonable?

Thank you.

Answer
Hi Tony,

This is a great question, one that would be sure to generate a healthy, multidimensional discussion (with very differing perspectives) among job seekers, service providers, and bloggers.

Some career professionals invest thousands of dollars in reaching their career goals. These investments can include multiple subjects, ranging from resume or CV development that support multiple career fields or interests, career coaching, interview preparation, personality testing, etc.

Other job seekers tend to associate resume development with nothing more than typing a document. What they may be missing however, is that there is so much more strategy involved in this process.

The best way to portray this concept, is to compare the career development industry with the construction industry. Make a list of all of the trades and skills that are required to build something as simple as a residential home. Each tradesman specializes in a particular field, and few can be experts in all trades. The same concept can be found in career development.

With this analogy, all of these different service providers set their fee structures based on multiple factors, such as overall industry experience and credentials, areas of expertise, cost of living in a particular location, cost of materials to provide service, etc.          

To help answer your question, let me offer a short, sample perspective from the client and the service provider point of view.

Client:
a. Budget considerations
b. Obtained this type of service in the past, or seeking career development assistance for the first time (time associated with industry research and the learning curve).
c. Confusion, and fear associated with making a decision in the midst of too much conflicting information and outside influence.
d. Time constraints associated with pursuing an upcoming opportunity.

Service Provider:
a. One may set the fee based on hourly rates (some providers will not negotiate reduced fees).
b. Another may set the fee by the page.
c. Another may set the fee based on the professional level of the client (Entry, Professional, Executive).
d. Another may set the fee based on the client's current or projected annual income.
e. Time the project will take (how long is the CV or resume that needs to be reviewed or revamped?).
f. Time constraints - what is the client's deadline? (Rush Fees).
g. Is this a career field I specialize in or have worked with before?
h. Should I refer the client to another provider?

Essentially, as you can see, the fees will vary based on a number of considerations. The best answer may be that only you, the consumer can determine what is a fair price. What may be reasonable to you, may be totally absurd to another and vice-versa.

Does this help?

Lisa  

Resume Help

Lisa Parker, CPRW