Resume Help/Same company, multiple locations, mulitple positions

I'm working on a new resume and I'm not sure how to list my work experience for the last several years. I've held multiple positions at the same companies, but in different locations. I had a position with company A, then transferred to another location, taking on a new position. While employed at the second location I got a job with company B. At Company B I was promoted and moved to another location. Do I list all locations and positions with each company under one heading? I've also held different positions in the same location, confusing me even more.

Company A
Job title
Oct 2006 - July 2008
Job title
July 2008 - Feb 2009

Job title
Feb 2009 - Current

Company B
Job title
Apr 2010 - Apr 2012

Job title
Apr 2012 - Current

Hi Staci,

I'm glad to help, and your question is a good one but I can see how it would be confusing to you.  You present a somewhat unique situation.  However, it will be a lot easier for me to help you with this if I can see the actual resume.  The way you have presented the hypotheticals here, it is confusing for me also.  The way this appears, you have two different jobs with two different companies ... both at the same time.  To know exactly how to advise you on this in the best possible way, it would be better if we could do this via email.

I often advise my clients to write me at the email address below so we can discuss their situation in a bit more detail (and privacy) than the AllExperts format allows.  If you have even a very rough draft of a resume done, kindly attach that to the email.  If I have assumed correctly (that you currently have two jobs with two entirely different companies) then it will be necessary for us to prepare your documents very carefully with attention to making them look as professional and unambiguous as possible.

In your email, kindly provide me with information about what has prompted you to make the job decisions you did.  This, of course, will not be disclosed in the resume or any other document, but it will help me to know how to advise you.  It is possible you could get asked in an interview to provide a new employer with the same kind of explanation, but if we prepare your resume properly, it will minimize the need for any elaborate details.

I hope you don't mind the extra correspondence, but - as I say - I think I can be of the best help to you if I know more about your situation.

I'll be looking forward to hearing from you as soon as you can get to it.  If you have another job or two in mind, you can also send along the job announcement(s) and that will help in evaluating your situation as well.

Best wishes,

Resume Help

Ralph D. Converse, Ph.D.

I can answer questions about general job searches, resume construction, crafting an effective cover letter, and how to prepare for, and conduct, a winning interview. My speciality is the field of education, but I also have extensive background in business and administration. I know what works and what doesn't work and I can make your application package stand out from the rest ... because that is what you have to do.

I have interviewed for, and held, dozens of jobs in a career going back more than 42 years. I have taught at all educational levels including middle school, high school, community college, and university. In more than 42 years of experience on both sides of the job-search process, I have interviewed hundreds of applicants and have reviewed literally tens of thousands of job application packages. I am the author of 12 Mistakes That Got Your Job Application Rejected ... And How To Fix Them! I conduct workshops for job seekers in a variety of locations every year.

Music Educator's Journal, Teaching Music, Music and American Culture (forthcoming, 2013), Last Teacher Standing: The Job is Yours Now! and 12 Mistakes That Got Your Job Application Rejected ... And How To Fix Them!

B.A. New Mexico State University; M.Mus. Southern Illinois University; Ph.D. University of California and University of North Texas

Thousands of individuals