Resume Help/Cover Letter

I am a native of California and I wish to return there. I am currently in Shreveport, LA. I've been here for one year and there isn't much variety out here as far as types of careers.  How can I address this in a cover letter as I apply for positions in California? I would like to appear as a qualified and promising candidate even though I am out of state. What are your recommendations?

Hi Nicole,
This is a tough question to answer without knowing more about your career field and how many years you have in the workforce (Entry, Professional, Executive, etc.). These things will all have an impact on the answers you will receive from different service providers. In order to provide you with a viable response for this question, it may help to think of this new job search from the employer perspective.

When searching for candidates, the employer is the consumer and much like the rest of us, it is reasonable to expect that they may be seeking immediate gratification. Depending upon the employer and their personal business needs, consider that they may be looking for the quickest route to filling their vacancy, without delays or any additional expenses.

In other words, the employer may not be willing to foot the bill for relocating you, may not be able or willing to wait for you to relocate. For very small business operations, the candidate that is standing in their office and ready to start immediately looks like a great solution if they are in a crunch. On the other hand, if they are a company in a position to wait for the right person to come along and you are the perfect candidate, it becomes easy to negotiate a compensation package, start date, and other logistical requirements.

In your cover letter, you can clearly indicate that you will be available to start on particular date due to relocation, or even mention that you are willing to relocate for the perfect opportunity. More and more employees are conducting interviews via electronic media to reduce overhead and broaden their pool of candidates; however again, this will depend on the type and size of the organization you may be targeting.

I hope this helps a bit! Be sure to screen other service providers to gather additional insight and perspective!  

Resume Help

Lisa Parker, CPRW

As a Certified Executive Résumé Master (CERM), Certified Professional Résumé Writer (CPRW), Certified Employment Interview Professional (CEIP), Disabled Veteran Outreach Program Specialist, Transition Assistance Program (TAP) Facilitator, and retired service member; I can answer your questions on a variety of subjects. Ask me about résumé and cover letter preparation, military transition, federal or government résumé resources and other career development topics.

28 years of combined experience in both Federal and State organizations. Extensive background in promoting personal and professional development, and providing career development guidance.

Career Directors International (CDI), National Résumé Writer's Association (NRWA), Professional Association of Résumé Writers and Career Coaches (PARW-CC), Career Thought Leaders (CTL), Disabled American Veterans - Life Member, Cambridge Who's Who-Life Member.

Résumé for Dummies-7th Edition Quill Magazine Pro-Files Magazine Spotlight Newsletter (PARW-CC) The Business Writer's Handbook Handbook of Technical Writing

Certified Executive Résumé Master (CERM), Certified Professional Résumé Writer (CPRW), Certified Employment Interview Professional (CEIP), Labor and Employment Specialist, Case Management, Instructor/Trainer, Transition Assistance Program (TAP) Facilitator.

Customer Service Award - 2007 GA Department of Labor

Career Professionals from a variety of career fields and professional backgrounds (Entry Level, Professional Level, Executive Level, Military Transition, Government Applicants, Federal Executive Applicants).