Resume Help/Transitioning out of Non-Profit work

Question
Hello,
Iím 26 and Iíve been working in non-profit for the majority of career thus far. I went to school for public relations and did a lot of volunteer work in college which lead me to internships with non-profits. From there I move to NYC have been working in development/fundraising (specifically individual fundraising) ever since. While development has great potential for growth and is truly a career path on itís own, I donít see myself doing this long term.  I wanted to know what other for-profit work could I transition to if all Iíve ever done is development?

Some basic skills Iíve learned in development are:
Small event planning
Strategic planning Ė for individuals fundraising plans mainly
Research Ė on individuals/companies
Budgeting and cash/accrual accounting
Writing Ė reports, letters

I donít have money for school right now and Iíd like to transition out of non-profit before Iím stuck forever. At this point Iím totally lost on where to go. Iím not into to PR anymore, nor do I want to do marketing. Any ideas ?

Thanks,
Melissa

Answer
Melissa,

You were not clear in your inquiry. Are you looking to do DIFFERENT work in the non-profit industry other than development OR are you looking to do development work in other industries (higher ed, etc.)?

There are certainly other industries that can benefit from someone like you with that level of expertise, but there is also other career tracks within the non-profit industry.

Try to get CLEARER on your objective and that will help your job search efforts greatly!

Torski
"America's Top Career Confidence Coach"

Resume Help

Torski Dobson-Arnold