Resume Help/Accomplishments on a resume

Hi Lisa,

I have a quick question for you in reference to accomplishments on a resume. In a nut shell I don’t have any as most of my jobs have been entry level. For example, I work 2 jobs right now. One is a bus driver for a nursing home where I take the residents to their appointments. The other is working with the developmental disabled; autiusm, and Down Syndrome.

I don’t really have any accomplishments and I don’t know what to put down other then what my general duties are.

If you could help that would be great.

Thank you,

Hi Daniel,

As soon as I read your message, the wheels started turning. Even in entry level environments, there are opportunities to excel and make a difference. Without a doubt, you have plenty of accomplishments that you may not have considered important!

Try to quantify your contributions by answering some of these questions:
Do you have a safe driving record?
Do you have a CDL?   
Are you the primary driver?
Do you work with a partner or assist another service provider that rides with you?
Do you have to map out the schedule or best route?
How many safe driving miles have you accumulated?
Do you accurately complete your transportation logs?
How large is the metropolis or region that you must navigate (small town vs. large city)?
Have there been any occasions where you resolved a problem, or used sound judgement in preventing an accident (attention to detail)?   
Do you perform preventive maintenance, report malfunctions, or maintain safety equipment on your assigned vehicle?
What is the operational readiness rating that you maintain on your assigned vehicle (is it always up and running)?    
How many residents do you transport to appointments during any given time frame (daily, weekly, monthly, or on an annual basis).
How many residents reside in the nursing home where you work?
How many, or what different types of organizations or service providers do you visit when running these errands? In other words, do you strictly visit clinical environments or do you also take residents to other government type agencies?
Have you established a rapport with people in these agencies or built relationships with them that help accomplish your daily tasks (nurses, doctors, reception, records personnel, etc.)?
What is the percentage of your success rate in meeting deadlines for appointments or retrieving patients after appointments(prompt/on-time)?       
Have you received recognition for your customer service, good nature, or attention to detail from service providers or patients?
Did you obtain CPR Certification in order to work with these organizations?
Have you completed other training that helps you assist some of the other clients you work with?
When working with the disabled, have you completed training on how to properly communicate concepts or deal with emergencies?

Try to think in terms of percentages, numbers, and monetary value of the equipment or resources that you must maintain.

I hope this helps you jump start a thought process!

Resume Help

Lisa Parker, CPRW

As a Certified Executive Résumé Master (CERM), Certified Professional Résumé Writer (CPRW), Certified Employment Interview Professional (CEIP), Disabled Veteran Outreach Program Specialist, Transition Assistance Program (TAP) Facilitator, and retired service member; I can answer your questions on a variety of subjects. Ask me about résumé and cover letter preparation, military transition, federal or government résumé resources and other career development topics.

28 years of combined experience in both Federal and State organizations. Extensive background in promoting personal and professional development, and providing career development guidance.

Career Directors International (CDI), National Résumé Writer's Association (NRWA), Professional Association of Résumé Writers and Career Coaches (PARW-CC), Career Thought Leaders (CTL), Disabled American Veterans - Life Member, Cambridge Who's Who-Life Member.

Résumé for Dummies-7th Edition Quill Magazine Pro-Files Magazine Spotlight Newsletter (PARW-CC) The Business Writer's Handbook Handbook of Technical Writing

Certified Executive Résumé Master (CERM), Certified Professional Résumé Writer (CPRW), Certified Employment Interview Professional (CEIP), Labor and Employment Specialist, Case Management, Instructor/Trainer, Transition Assistance Program (TAP) Facilitator.

Customer Service Award - 2007 GA Department of Labor

Career Professionals from a variety of career fields and professional backgrounds (Entry Level, Professional Level, Executive Level, Military Transition, Government Applicants, Federal Executive Applicants).