Resume Help/Should I connect with the interviewers on social media?

Question
Dear Sir,

I have finished my job interview with a panel. Let's assume I don't get the job this time, then should I connect with them via Linkedin and Facebook?

Is it a good idea to connect with them, hoping they will remember me? Or is it a bad idea?

Thank you.

Answer
Hi Tony,

I don't see any major downside to making the connections on social media.  People are constantly looking to make business connections with other people regardless of whether they have any prior relationship.  I get these kinds of requests all the time and you probably do too.

On the flip side, I don't know that there is any particular benefit.  The interview panel may remember you and they may not.  If you don't get the job, they could view your requests for connection to be a nuisance; others might see it as positive persistence on your part.  There is really no way to tell how each individual will interpret your attempts to connect with them.  It's kind of like the interview questions themselves: some members of the panel probably liked your answer to a question; others might not have been so enthusiastic.  It all comes down to the individual.

My own personal view (as a former employer and interviewer) is that I would have no problem with you making a connection with me as a member of the panel.  However - and this is a big deal - I would have a big problem if you made a pest of yourself.  It's one thing to have a person accept your request on LinkedIn, for example.  It's quite another thing to message them every day as if you are close friends.  That would definitely be counter-productive to your aims and would be very annoying to the person on the other end.  Use common sense.

I hope that helps; best wishes!

Resume Help

Ralph D. Converse, Ph.D.