Resume Help/Online Presence for Career Changer

Question
Dear Expert,

I'm a young person who initially started my college education intending to become an artist. I have a degree in painting, which I enjoy and continue to pursue, but am now taking another direction towards becoming a software developer. I'm going back to school for this, doing quite well, and searching for internships.

The problem I have is that I'm not sure how to handle my online presence. I don't want to stop painting, and I'm sure I'll have a career as a painter during my life, but just in my free time and not full time. But in order to do this, I have to have a portfolio up, and all kinds of info about my work. At first glance, if you type my name into Google it shows images of my paintings and multiple links to portfolios - this is a necessity in order for people to see my work.

But I'm worried that such an overwhelming display of my artistic talent might appear to potential employers as a lack of commitment to being a software developer - and this is far from the truth. Is this something I should even be worried about? Maybe the employer won't even care about this. I am advertising my painting degree on my resume, and stating that I am changing careers, so would it be better to leave them up to show that I actually did something with that degree/those skills?

I'm just not sure how this will be interpreted by the employer, if it's something I should concern myself with, whether I should take down the portfolios, and whether it will be viewed in a positive or a negative light. Any help you can provide would be appreciated.

Thanks much!
-Aaron

Answer
Aaron,

First, congratulations for using your degree and sharing your artistic talents with the world!

I think you shouldn't worry about potential employers seeing your online portfolios so much. I think it speaks volumes of dedication to your craft and that employers will recognize this as a positive attribute. Think of it this way....When you are asked about what you have been doing, your response can speak to your work as an artist versus living with parents and playing video games all day.

Also, in today's economy, professionals change career fields all the time, so I don't think your career move is so uncommon that it would negatively affect your chances.

To further solidify your new career as a software developer, as you uncover internship possibilities, be sure to highlight those skills online as well, say in a separate website and be able to share these highlights with potential employers as well. Use that creative niche to your advantage and I believe you will have no problems soon hearing the words, "You're Hired!" upon graduation.

Claiming nothing but success in all of your career endeavors,

Torski
"America's Top Career Confidence Coach"

Resume Help

Torski Dobson-Arnold