Resume Help/Write Effective Cover Letter

Hi Ralph:

Please advise me how to write a smooth cover letter.  I had no problem in writing emails to former clients.  However, I find my cover letters choppy.  Maybe it has something to do with my difficulties in describing or promoting myself in the cover letter.  What do you think?

Hi Mary,

There are several things the cover letter must do.  The most important of these is to directly and adequately demonstrate how your skills and knowledge apply to the job for which you are applying.  In other words, what have you done and what do you know that will solve the employer's need in this new job?  Tell them exactly how you are the best candidate by describing how you will solve their problem (i.e. fill the job opening).

As to writing a "smooth cover letter" that is generally a matter of style and craftsmanship.  It is certainly VERY different from writing emails and needs much more attention to detail.  If you will send me your last cover letter as an attachment to the address below, I will be happy to give you some feedback on its strengths and weaknesses.  I look forward to helping you with this!

Best wishes,

Resume Help

Ralph D. Converse, Ph.D.

I can answer questions about general job searches, resume construction, crafting an effective cover letter, and how to prepare for, and conduct, a winning interview. My speciality is the field of education, but I also have extensive background in business and administration. I know what works and what doesn't work and I can make your application package stand out from the rest ... because that is what you have to do.

I have interviewed for, and held, dozens of jobs in a career going back more than 42 years. I have taught at all educational levels including middle school, high school, community college, and university. In more than 42 years of experience on both sides of the job-search process, I have interviewed hundreds of applicants and have reviewed literally tens of thousands of job application packages. I am the author of 12 Mistakes That Got Your Job Application Rejected ... And How To Fix Them! I conduct workshops for job seekers in a variety of locations every year.

Music Educator's Journal, Teaching Music, Music and American Culture (forthcoming, 2013), Last Teacher Standing: The Job is Yours Now! and 12 Mistakes That Got Your Job Application Rejected ... And How To Fix Them!

B.A. New Mexico State University; M.Mus. Southern Illinois University; Ph.D. University of California and University of North Texas

Thousands of individuals