Resume Help/Cover letter help needed please.

QUESTION: Hello there Ralph D. Converse and how are you?

I need help writing out a cover letter for a job advert that I have seen while I visited my local car dealership to buy brake pads yesterday morning.

As I entered the showroom I noticed an advert being displayed "Full time driver required. Apply within".

I asked a sales adviser regarding the position and was advised that its still available that I would need to send in my CV and cover letter to the email address on the business card she gave me.

Now I have been working in retail for almost 14 years now. I would like a change of career now. I want to apply for the above mentioned position.

But I need help to write out a cover letter. Any ideas what I can write?

Would you give me an example please.

Thank you.

ANSWER: Hi Craig,

There are very specific things you need to do when writing a successful cover letter.  I will briefly summarize them here:

1) It needs to be written in a formal business style with all the protocol that goes with such a letter.  In other words, this is not an email or a text message or any similar type of communication.

2) It needs to be addressed to an actual person.  "To Whom It May Concern" or "Dear Sir/Madam" is not acceptable.  It indicates to the employer that you were too lazy to find out who to write the letter to, and if that is the case, why should they hire you?

3) The first paragraph is very brief and describes for the reader the reason that they are receiving the letter.  Tell them which position you are applying for.

4)  The last paragraph thanks them for their time, indicates you would welcome the opportunity to speak with them personally, and it reiterates why you are the best person for the position.

5) The intervening paragraphs tell them about your experiences and expertise as a driver; i.e. why you are the best fit for the position.  What is your driving record like?  Any citations or accidents?  If not, those are good things to mention.  They are looking for someone mature and someone who can be trusted.

6] Finally, and obviously, it needs to be perfectly written.  That is, it needs to be free of errors in spelling, grammar, syntax, and format.

If you'd like to send me an email to the address below, I'll reply with an attached cover letter example.  Or, if you prefer, given the guidelines I have given you above, write your own letter, attach it to the email, and send it to me.  I'll be happy to give you a free critique.  I look forward to hearing from you!

Best wishes,

QUESTION: Hello Ralph, Many thanks for your response. Kindly please check your email inbox. I have just sent you a cover letter. The writing in RED is where I need the most help. I would be grateful if you can help me out on this, please.

The thing that I struggle to explain the cover letter is that I been working the retail sector for the past 14 years so how does the full time driving position help me.

Please take a look at the cover letter that I have sent you now at: .

I await your reply.
Many thanks.
P.S. How do I rate you. I think you are an asset to this web site, thanks.

Hi Craig,

Thanks for the follow-up.  I see that you sent me the letter and I will get on it later this afternoon.  As for the rating, you have an opportunity to do that on notifications sent to you by AllExperts.  There is a brief link in one of the notifications labeled "thank the expert" (or words to that effect).  You can enter numerical ratings and make comments.  

I'll get back to you soon via email.

Resume Help

Ralph D. Converse, Ph.D.

I can answer questions about general job searches, resume construction, crafting an effective cover letter, and how to prepare for, and conduct, a winning interview. My speciality is the field of education, but I also have extensive background in business and administration. I know what works and what doesn't work and I can make your application package stand out from the rest ... because that is what you have to do.

I have interviewed for, and held, dozens of jobs in a career going back more than 42 years. I have taught at all educational levels including middle school, high school, community college, and university. In more than 42 years of experience on both sides of the job-search process, I have interviewed hundreds of applicants and have reviewed literally tens of thousands of job application packages. I am the author of 12 Mistakes That Got Your Job Application Rejected ... And How To Fix Them! I conduct workshops for job seekers in a variety of locations every year.

Music Educator's Journal, Teaching Music, Music and American Culture (forthcoming, 2013), Last Teacher Standing: The Job is Yours Now! and 12 Mistakes That Got Your Job Application Rejected ... And How To Fix Them!

B.A. New Mexico State University; M.Mus. Southern Illinois University; Ph.D. University of California and University of North Texas

Thousands of individuals