Resume Help/Resumes after major life change

Question
Hello,
I work with homeless women in a 15 month drug recovery program.  Most, if not all, have a terrible work history due to past choices and are working at turning things around.  Are there any specific recommendations you have for this situation?  

In the program they are a part of:
- in depth counseling
- work therapy (in retail, kitchen, reception, and addressing employability traits)
-Learning Center which addresses computer literacy, math, writing and financial education

Thank you

Answer
Hello Holly,

For the women that you help, my advice would be the same to them as it is to others that I work with every day.  Certainly their situation demands careful definition of their attributes, but fundamentally they need to do the same thing that others do: create the best possible profile of yourself in your letter and resume if you want a chance at an interview.

It looks like your work therapy takes care of some of that in "addressing employability traits" so that is an excellent place to start.   Rather than create chronological resumes that tend to emphasize career growth, I would probably recommend functional resumes which will list and describe skills that would be useful to a specific employer.  They need to do the same thing that others do which is to create a resume that targets the need of each employer to whom they apply.  Craft cover letters that do the same thing but in a narrative fashion (as opposed to the resume format which should be a concise bullet list).

If you are interested, I would be very glad to help you on a case-by-case basis.  My company typically charges for actually writing resumes, letters, etc., but I would be happy to give each lady some constructive feedback if you would like to send me documents to critique.  You can attach them (one at a time please) to an email and send it to the address below.

I look forward to helping you in your important work!

Best wishes,

Resume Help

Ralph D. Converse, Ph.D.