Resume Help/Samples of past work

In school we are doing mock interviews in front of the class. I am a competition dance teacher. We are suposed to provide a sample of work but I don't know what to do! I DO NOT want to dance in front of the class and I can't make a video because I do not have time! How can I provide a sample work with out doing theese to options?

Hi Kyla,

You are in a unique position, how exciting!

Why not take the opportunity to demonstrate your previous contributions through a small personal portfolio that you carry to the interview. When asked to provide a 'sample of work' you can present the portfolio and describe the contents. You might consider highlighting a couple of special events, telling the story about these competitions from start to finish by including the program, a picture of all of the contestants, then a picture of just the ones you trained. You can include any advertising or marketing collateral that you helped develop, you can include the annual training schedule, and the final results (publicity, news paper articles, reviews, etc.). For additional notes, you can highlight problems that you had to solve (planning conflicts, costume malfunctions, seating, sound, lighting, etc.).

By focusing on just one or two events you can cover all sorts of things that employers are looking for in candidates; skills including organization, administration, problem solving, planning, work ethic, attitude, branding, coordination, transportation, budgeting, time management, team building, etc.).

I wish you the best of luck and am sure that you will shine no matter what approach you decide to take!

Resume Help

Lisa Parker, CPRW

As a Certified Executive Résumé Master (CERM), Certified Professional Résumé Writer (CPRW), Certified Employment Interview Professional (CEIP), Disabled Veteran Outreach Program Specialist, Transition Assistance Program (TAP) Facilitator, and retired service member; I can answer your questions on a variety of subjects. Ask me about résumé and cover letter preparation, military transition, federal or government résumé resources and other career development topics.

28 years of combined experience in both Federal and State organizations. Extensive background in promoting personal and professional development, and providing career development guidance.

Career Directors International (CDI), National Résumé Writer's Association (NRWA), Professional Association of Résumé Writers and Career Coaches (PARW-CC), Career Thought Leaders (CTL), Disabled American Veterans - Life Member, Cambridge Who's Who-Life Member.

Résumé for Dummies-7th Edition Quill Magazine Pro-Files Magazine Spotlight Newsletter (PARW-CC) The Business Writer's Handbook Handbook of Technical Writing

Certified Executive Résumé Master (CERM), Certified Professional Résumé Writer (CPRW), Certified Employment Interview Professional (CEIP), Labor and Employment Specialist, Case Management, Instructor/Trainer, Transition Assistance Program (TAP) Facilitator.

Customer Service Award - 2007 GA Department of Labor

Career Professionals from a variety of career fields and professional backgrounds (Entry Level, Professional Level, Executive Level, Military Transition, Government Applicants, Federal Executive Applicants).