Resume Help/Career change resume and cover letter

Dear Ruth,

I am presently working as a nurse in a private facility, and I would like to apply for a job as administrative assistant or another office job. I am a little bit stuck on how to write a career change resume and appropriate cover letter. I was able to point out the skills from my nursing job, and past experiences that can be transferred to an office or administrative job. Even though I organized them, they just seem like irrelevant for the position I would like to apply for. So my question is to know how to write an effective career change resume with a good cover letter or at least to know how to fix mine.

Thank you

Sorry for the delay, this landed in my spam folder.

If you want a career change, you have to focus on skills.  So, a functional resume would be more appropriate for you.  You can google functional resumes and you will a lot of them and they will give you step by step instructions on how to write them.

The question here is:  do you have the skills needed for an administrative assistant or office job?  You probably do because even if you were in nursing, almost everyone has to use a computer and knows Word, etc.  So, the hard part is finding how the nursing job skills will work in the new capacity.

If you don't have some of the skills, you need to get them by taking courses, etc.

Warmly, R. Butler

Resume Help

Ruth Butler

I will answer questions about resumes and how to do well on an interview. I am a former employment counselor and I have owned my own resume and career counseling business since 1982.