Resume Help/Career progression on resume

I was a director of campus security for two years.  I left due to management style conflict with my boss.  Since leaving, I have worked many part-time line positions in security. How would I show this lack or step back in career progression in security administration. My work background is stellar, but I took part-time jobs since 2010 to make a living. I would like to return to an academic security position.  I have a masters' degree in computer security, but no experience. Retired as a probation officer.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Thank you, Ron

I don't think you need to do anything extraordinary to show your career progression on your resume. One of the great things you have going for you, is that even though the work was part-time it appears that it was consistent.

Your reason from moving from FT to PT should be explained in your cover letter and NOT on your resume. Your cover letter would also include your renewed interest in returning to higher academia in a lead security role.

The goal of the resume is to show yourself as a problem solver and as a value-added applicant that is interested in the position.

I hope this helps!

"America's Top Career Confidence Coach"

Resume Help

Torski Dobson-Arnold

I can answer questions in regards to resume development, career transition, career planning, salary negotiation, the interview process, networking in a job fair/trade show environment, telephone screening and practically answer issue as it relates to career planning. With 10 years of being on the front lines of the applicant and recruitment process as a strategic human resources professional, I have the "insider track" to what sparks the interests of hiring managers to what top ten things you need to avoid when applying for new opportunities.

10 years in private and public strategic, professional human resources roles. 2 years as a professional resume writer, career coach. Own and operate an elite firm specializing in resume writing and other career services, Your Career Confidence, LLC (

NAAAHR (National Association of African-Americans in HR) NRWA (National Resume Writers Association) AORCP (Association of Online Resume and Career Professionals) SHRM (Society of Human Resources Management)

BA, Marketing Management, Mary Baldwin College, VA MS, Human Resources Management, Troy University, AL PHR certification (awarded in 2006)