Resume Help/New Job

Question
Hello Mr. Converse,

I was wondering if you could help me with some career advice. I recently started a new job about 1 month ago. Its going great so far and I am happy that I found a job that I like. They were a small company and have been growing very rapidly. They even had to move out of their old office/HQ  to accomodate all the new hires. Well they are thinking of adding a new employee in July and the job they are hiring for is similar to mine, but they will be in charge of some other projects. The new hire will be responsible for one area and I will be in charge of another.

Well my question is, can I offer to do both jobs? I wanted to ask them if they wanted I could do both jobs and they could just pay me a little more. I don't know if that is a good idea, but I feel that I can manage both areas just fine. What do you think? I think that they will probably say no because I just started and they have no idea of what my capabilities are. Thank you for reading this and I hope to hear from you soon!

Answer
Hi Jennifer,

The direct answer to your question is, of course you can offer.  But I would suggest a more comprehensive strategy. Do some research and find out what the pay range is for a job such as the one you are envisioning (i.e. the combination of two positions).  See if what you find is comparable to what the two positions would collectively pay (that is, Job #1 salary added to Job#2 salary).

Then provide your employer with a formal proposal.  The proposal should list the duties as you understand them and provide concrete evidence of your experience to do all of the duties.  If you can do that, then offer yourself as the person to take on both jobs, but do it for a salary that is about 75% of what the two jobs would cost the company separately.  In other words, you have to show them two things: 1) that you know what both jobs entail and that you are competent and experienced enough to do both jobs, and 2) that there is a cost-benefit to the company paying you to do them both.

Just be absolutely certain you know what both positions involve AND that you are clearly competent (and would have time) to do both.  If you show that, they should jump at the opportunity to save money by handing you the dual position.

Make your proposal a professional and serious document and be sure to be specific about your abilities and the savings to the company.

Good luck ... let me know how it goes!

Resume Help

Ralph D. Converse, Ph.D.