Resume Help/Resume / Jobs issue....

Hello and thank you for helping so many people with your expert advice.

I am 33 years old and have been a police officer for a medium-sized agency for the last 8 years.  

I was born with a plastic spoon in my mouth so I did not get a degree.  Through my current job as a police officer, I have attended three community colleges and have many hours of continuing education training and multiple certifications.  

It took me a while to figure out what I wanted to do with my life, so I have had numerous jobs in my history.  In fact, my current job is my 23rd job.  The explanation for this is very simple: I just didn't know what I wanted to do.  I tried some things that didn't work out.  I tried some things that were not fulfilling.  And of course, I had to work to make money.  Some of them very short term and some of them a few months long.

So, after serving as a police officer for one agency, I am looking to move to another agency or possibly into another field altogether.  As I said, I work for a medium-sized agency, so the prospects for advancement and opportunity here are limited.  I want to seek out opportunities that exist elsewhere to better myself and my family.  

My specific question is how do I create a proper and attractive resume?  Some agencies and employer obviously want a resume in lieu of an application.  Surely I don't need to include every single employer, right?  

Which jobs do I include?

Should I only include the substantial jobs that I have had and omit the ones I had to take just to keep myself afloat?

How far chronologically do I go back?

Is there a resume software or font that you would recommend, or is Microsoft's program sufficient?

Given these circumstances, should I use a resume format different than a chronological style resume?  

What would you do in my situation?

Thanks again, and all my best.

Obviously, I would not use all 23 jobs on my resume. Pick out four or five of the most important, where you learned the most, or where you were promoted or rose in pay. Clarify these in  alphabetic order and describe your duties.

I'm glad to help out. Like most HR people, I do not believe in using a cover letter since it is nothing more than duplication of information that is in the resume itself. Many HR people tell me that they do not even look at the cover letter.

With this in mind, I suggest you place greater emphasis upon your resume (which I would be happy to evaluate to make it more effective.

A few important things to remember about a resume:

1. it is intended to gain an interview NOT a job,

2. should be confined to a single page, and

3. contain a very specific explanation of the position you are seeking.

4. Use this format:

Personal Information, Specific Objective, Educational Background, Occupational Background, References (do not use friends or relatives).

Write your resume with these points in mind, and I shall be glad to look it over.

Good luck,

Jerry Leone

Resume Help

Jerry Leone

I`ve taught writing or some aspect of the English language for nearly 35 years. I can answer nearly any question on grammar, usage or meanings of words above dictionary usage. An avid crossword fan and writer, I can also answer questions about business presentations and resumes.