Resume Help/Interview Question

Question
Hi Dr Converse,

I recently got an interview and one of the questions kind of stumped me.  The panel asked me "what is your biggest professional success so far?"  I recently graduated with my BA and haven't really had much professional experience, so I didn't know how to respond.  Can you help with this?

Answer
Hi Phillip,

Yes, happy to help.  The desired response to this question has changed over the last year or so.  Previously, interviewers were simply looking for you to tell your story; to demonstrate how your experience would contribute to their need.  Allow me to answer your question in two parts.

First, you expressed concern about a lack of professional experience which would allow you to respond  to the question.  When you tackle this question in the future, remind the panel that of your recent graduation (in the event they haven't looked closely at your resume or application - this does happen).  Then be prepared to discuss internships, senior projects, leadership events or anything that would allow you to show your abilities relating to the position.  Employers understand that applicants will have varying degrees of experience and as long as you have the requisite minimum for the job, they will accommodate your situation.  In short, if you have very limited or no actual job experience, describe the next-best thing that applies to the needs of the employer.

Second, the response to this question most employers are looking for today can be summed up in one word: we.  I described above the old version of what employers were looking for you to do.  Today, they want to hear a lot less "I did " and a lot more of "We did "  In other words, describe your professional achievements but phrase it in ways that demonstrate that you were part of a collaborative project in which you were one of the participants.  Even if you were the team leader, nobody gets anything done by themselves.  So, the panel wants to hear that you understand the team concept and that your achievement was a direct result of this kind of collaboration.

Hope this helps.
Best of luck,  

Resume Help

Ralph D. Converse, Ph.D.