Resume Help/Career Guidance and Resume Help

I am in the process of trying to go back into working for a company because I am in school for Management Information Systems and Business Analytics with an expected graduation date of June 2017.

Right now I am a business owner of a health and wellness company and have owned this company since 2002 first starting out as personal trainer to eventually getting involved in corporate wellness, lunch and learns, and contracting trainers to train clients. This business has been ongoing and I have maintained it while I have also worked for other companies. On my resume right now, I chose not to list my business as owner since I have read many articles on how off putting this can be to an employer. Thoughts?

I am struggling and uncertain of how my resume should look to show that I do have a business and technical side just not knowledgable yet on SQL. I have noticed that most positions that I am interested in ask to at least have a basic foundation or a year of SQL, in which I do not. Right now I am on a 6 week break from school and have started to teach myself SQL from multiple websites.

I have had a few interviews with some employers for positions such as Client Manager for a technology company and an Analyst position for a consulting firm in the last 2 weeks. My goal is to eventually get hands on experience learning more about coding and get into the technology field (no particular industry at the moment).

Would you mind giving me some career guidance and critique my resume and/or give me some suggestions please? Below is my resume pasted for you to review.

Thank you for your time.

-Career Focus-

To join a dynamic and innovative company committed to excellence and growth. Self-motivated individual with superb communication, analytical, organizational skills and continued education.

-Professional Highlights-
Adept multi-tasker
Client retention
Critical thinking
Proposal development
Project analysis
Strategic planning
Goal oriented

-Computer Skills-

Microsoft Office Suite - Access, PowerPoint, Word, Project, Visio, Excel (VLOOKUP, Pivot Tables, Macros), Sharepoint, Oracle, GIS, Crystal Reports, SAP

-Professional Experience-
Business Development/Health Fitness Specialist
January 2002 to Current
F___ - Dallas, TX
-Manage client development from implementation processes to closure
-Identified strategic partnerships (B2B) to discuss how specific services could meet their needs
-Produced 85% of all new business in 2012 & 2013 through referrals by building trust, delivering results, and rapport
-Relationship building with new and existing customers
-Identify, coordinate and participate in client relationship-building activities and meetings
-Maintain up-to-date knowledge of industry and target accounts
-Follow key performance indicators (KPI) to achieve strategic goals
-Monitor project budget
-Analyze existing economic, demographic, market, and environmental variables to identify new business

Junior Project Manager
June 2008 to March 2012
____ Investments - Dallas, TX
-Improved reporting efficiency by automating business process in Excel and adding PivotTables
-Hosted meetings for Vice President and investors to present status of projects and proposals -Established indices and exception reporting as well as corrective action for project critical path conflicts Coordinated efforts of all parties involved in projects
-Assist with scheduling of new projects
-Monitored project finance
-Contract negotiation
-Research and analyze new and current market
-Attended Chamber of Commerce meetings to network
-Administrator over Microsoft Project

Project Coordinator - Contract
September 2007 to May 2008
P___ - Dallas, TX
-Held participants accountable to the delivery of their work
-Communicated progress and results with the Project Manager and various stakeholders
-Assisted Project Manager by executing special projects (e.g., data gathering, metrics reporting, resource planning, building processes)
-Monitored and analyzed inventory levels for select areas
-Identified issues, suggested solutions to resolve issues and improve performance Tracked the overall planning and strategic initiatives for the team (e.g. milestones, goals)

Project Coordinator - Contract
October 2006 to August 2007
A____ - Asset Management - Coppell, TX
-Liaison between Avaya and external vendors
-Coordinated installations, removals, track equipment disposition, and approved redeployment ---------Reconciled databases and generated related status reports
-Assessed business processes to ensure corporate compliance and process improvement Processed factory Returns, RMAs and DOAs

Project Administrator
January 2004 to February 2006
Crossmark - Plano, TX
-Co-managed projects with project managers with focus on contract administration for projects
-Ensured project objectives were accomplished within time frame and budget by preparing accurate syndicated data reports
-Analyzed retail data to generate retail successes and identify opportunities
-Monitored and set up project launch

Bachelor of Science : Management Information Systems & Data Analytics, 2017 University Name - 3.95 GPA - City, CO
Minor in Project Management

Hi Nyla,

In response to one of your questions, there may be people who believe that having a self-employment entry on your resume is "off-putting" but if you fail to list it, what are you going to show that you've been doing since your employment ended in March 2012?  I don't happen to be one of those people who think that is an issue for employers - at least the employers I talk to every year don't ever mention this as an issue.

Three observations on what you have sent here: (1) delete the "professional highlights" and "career focus."  Too much boilerplate here and employers don't read these kinds of entries (precisely because they don't help set you apart from other applicants); (2) the bullet entries need to be severely trimmed to 6-8 words each - no more. The resume needs to be a very brief snapshot, get rid of every single word that is not absolutely necessary to convey your meaning; (3) format is as important as content in a resume; I am going to suggest you send me an email to the address below and attach your resume exactly as you intend to send it to an employer.  I will be able to give you a much better evaluation when I see the document in the format you intend to submit.

I look forward to helping you with this!

Best wishes,

Resume Help

Ralph D. Converse, Ph.D.

I can answer questions about general job searches, resume construction, crafting an effective cover letter, and how to prepare for, and conduct, a winning interview. My speciality is the field of education, but I also have extensive background in business and administration. I know what works and what doesn't work and I can make your application package stand out from the rest ... because that is what you have to do.

I have interviewed for, and held, dozens of jobs in a career going back more than 42 years. I have taught at all educational levels including middle school, high school, community college, and university. In more than 42 years of experience on both sides of the job-search process, I have interviewed hundreds of applicants and have reviewed literally tens of thousands of job application packages. I am the author of 12 Mistakes That Got Your Job Application Rejected ... And How To Fix Them! I conduct workshops for job seekers in a variety of locations every year.

Music Educator's Journal, Teaching Music, Music and American Culture (forthcoming, 2013), Last Teacher Standing: The Job is Yours Now! and 12 Mistakes That Got Your Job Application Rejected ... And How To Fix Them!

B.A. New Mexico State University; M.Mus. Southern Illinois University; Ph.D. University of California and University of North Texas

Thousands of individuals