Resume Help/Short timer at new job

I'm starting a job search, and need help on how to put together my resume based on my last year of employment history.  In August 2014, I quit my job, with plans to be a stay at home Mom of my then 6 month old daughter.  Shortly after I quit, my husband's job situation changed, and he ended up moving into a new job that paid much less.  It was obvious I needed to find another job.  In February 2015 I started a part time job at the local University, in a field which is only a little similar to my previous jobs.  But I accepted, since it's very difficult to find professional part-time work that isn't retail, etc.  Now, after only 3 months, I find that this just isn't working.  The commute is rough (35 minutes without traffic, but 60+ minutes with traffic), I don't love my boss (she's okay, but eh...) and we've had some major house issues which have put a financial burden on us.  I need a full time job, and I need something close to home.

The question is - how to put this on a resume? I will show what looks like an employment gap between Aug 2014-Feb 2015, then will show 3 months of part time work, and now I'm leaving.  That just doesn't look good. I do have a good track record prior to that.  I was with my previous job for 1.5 years, and my previous company before that for 7 years (broken up over 3 positions).  But I don't want to come across as a flake or a new Mom that isn't reliable because she's putting family first (heck, I do put family first, but I do also take work seriously).

Thanks in advance for any suggestions you can provide.

I think your compile the highlights of your career on your resume noting the gap.

Use the cover letter to explain, with much less detail than you shared with me, the rationale behind the moves, and keep it moving.

If you make it a big deal, then it will be a big deal. If you note it, justify it in the cover letter, and keep it moving, you should be fine.

People make quick employment all the time with military assignments, childbirth, etc. Employers understand that, particularly if this hasn't been a trend in your employment history.

I hope this helps!

Claiming nothing but success in all of your career endeavors,

"America's Top Career Confidence Coach"

Resume Help

Torski Dobson-Arnold

I can answer questions in regards to resume development, career transition, career planning, salary negotiation, the interview process, networking in a job fair/trade show environment, telephone screening and practically answer issue as it relates to career planning. With 10 years of being on the front lines of the applicant and recruitment process as a strategic human resources professional, I have the "insider track" to what sparks the interests of hiring managers to what top ten things you need to avoid when applying for new opportunities.

10 years in private and public strategic, professional human resources roles. 2 years as a professional resume writer, career coach. Own and operate an elite firm specializing in resume writing and other career services, Your Career Confidence, LLC (

NAAAHR (National Association of African-Americans in HR) NRWA (National Resume Writers Association) AORCP (Association of Online Resume and Career Professionals) SHRM (Society of Human Resources Management)

BA, Marketing Management, Mary Baldwin College, VA MS, Human Resources Management, Troy University, AL PHR certification (awarded in 2006)