Resume Help/Job application

Back in December I applied for a job as a clarinet-maker. Upon being told that I had all of the right qualifications I was told that the position was filled, but that they are a growing company and hire for that position on a regular basis, so I was informed to check back in June. Now that it is time to check back with the company, I was wondering how exactly to present myself with the email in doing so? I want this to be perfect and I don't want to make any mistakes. What recommendation would you suggest in what I should say via email pertaining to getting back to them, and proceeding afterwords? Thanks.

Hi Mike,

I will assume this has to be done via email.  Ideally, you would want to present yourself in person, but if you need to do this online, what I suggest is simple and straight-forward.

First, be sure the correspondence is done in a business-like manner.  That is, make the correspondence formal just as you would with a hard-copy paper letter complete with company name, address, and salutation to the correct person (if you don't know who the person is, go with the last individual you had contact with in December).

Remind them they asked that you reconnect with them in June, briefly restate your qualifications and interest in the position, and thank them for the opportunity to be considered again.  Attach your resume and any  other correspondence you had with them previously.

If you have not heard within 7-10 days, send a follow-up inquiring where the process stands.

Good luck!

Resume Help

Ralph D. Converse, Ph.D.

I can answer questions about general job searches, resume construction, crafting an effective cover letter, and how to prepare for, and conduct, a winning interview. My speciality is the field of education, but I also have extensive background in business and administration. I know what works and what doesn't work and I can make your application package stand out from the rest ... because that is what you have to do.

I have interviewed for, and held, dozens of jobs in a career going back more than 42 years. I have taught at all educational levels including middle school, high school, community college, and university. In more than 42 years of experience on both sides of the job-search process, I have interviewed hundreds of applicants and have reviewed literally tens of thousands of job application packages. I am the author of 12 Mistakes That Got Your Job Application Rejected ... And How To Fix Them! I conduct workshops for job seekers in a variety of locations every year.

Music Educator's Journal, Teaching Music, Music and American Culture (forthcoming, 2013), Last Teacher Standing: The Job is Yours Now! and 12 Mistakes That Got Your Job Application Rejected ... And How To Fix Them!

B.A. New Mexico State University; M.Mus. Southern Illinois University; Ph.D. University of California and University of North Texas

Thousands of individuals