Resume Help/Graduate Engineer - International Jobs

I am currently an engineering student in my final year of studies, to graduate by the end of 2015. I am studying toward a bachelor of engineering, majoring in mechanical and aerospace. I live in Australia, however the aerospace industry is not very popular here, and I would like to work my way towards a more rewarding career.

I would like to get a foot in the door in Europe. Though I have been applying to jobs in Australia I have also applied to international companies. Airbus (Europe), GE (Asia and europe), Singapore companies. A lot.

But I have not been receiving any feedback, which is why I would like to ask what sort of qualities should I be displaying in my resume and cover letter?

I've read many articles suggesting the following type of structure:
1. Short introduction of myself and what I am applying for.
2. What skills I learnt on my internship (My strongest engineering experience)
3. What I achieved on my undergraduate thesis (2nd strongest experience).
4. My work now, as a volunteer researcher.
5. Conclude, by mentioning I am able to relocate and suggesting an interview.

I am flexible and capable (financially) of independently relocating. I would expect they would take someone from their country over an international such as me, but I want to give it my best.

Any advice would be helpful, also it would be great to have someone review a cover letter or resume of mine :)

Cheers for your help

Hi Rishan,

Thank you for reaching out! It sounds like you have completed a great deal of research and are on the right track. The problem may not be the content in your actual resume, rather, it may be as simple as how you are using your current data to pursue opportunity through online application forums.

Another strategy you may consider, is using the time spent and experience gained as a student as a separate entry on your resume. This will help generate credit for additional years of experience gained in various concepts unique to your target industry. The resume is not just for employment history - but also to convey experience in a particular area.        

Luckily, you can obtain help with your project from a local Certified professional located in your area - contact Gillian (Jill) Kelly, CMRW for assistance. Jill is located in Queensland, a member of Career Director's International and specializes in assisting job seekers throughout the European community!   

If Jill cannot assist you, I will be happy to provide additional assistance through my business - just send along your email address and I will send you a message so that we can connect through that forum.

I hope this helps you develop a direction and am positive that you will reach your goals!

Resume Help

Lisa Parker, CPRW

As a Certified Executive Résumé Master (CERM), Certified Professional Résumé Writer (CPRW), Certified Employment Interview Professional (CEIP), Disabled Veteran Outreach Program Specialist, Transition Assistance Program (TAP) Facilitator, and retired service member; I can answer your questions on a variety of subjects. Ask me about résumé and cover letter preparation, military transition, federal or government résumé resources and other career development topics.

28 years of combined experience in both Federal and State organizations. Extensive background in promoting personal and professional development, and providing career development guidance.

Career Directors International (CDI), National Résumé Writer's Association (NRWA), Professional Association of Résumé Writers and Career Coaches (PARW-CC), Career Thought Leaders (CTL), Disabled American Veterans - Life Member, Cambridge Who's Who-Life Member.

Résumé for Dummies-7th Edition Quill Magazine Pro-Files Magazine Spotlight Newsletter (PARW-CC) The Business Writer's Handbook Handbook of Technical Writing

Certified Executive Résumé Master (CERM), Certified Professional Résumé Writer (CPRW), Certified Employment Interview Professional (CEIP), Labor and Employment Specialist, Case Management, Instructor/Trainer, Transition Assistance Program (TAP) Facilitator.

Customer Service Award - 2007 GA Department of Labor

Career Professionals from a variety of career fields and professional backgrounds (Entry Level, Professional Level, Executive Level, Military Transition, Government Applicants, Federal Executive Applicants).