Resume Help/professional references

Question
I'm in a tight spot at work where it is no longer good for me personally or my career. I have plenty of professional references, I was asked to provide 3, many in the department I've worked for years, however, I am doing this confidentially and I didn't want anyone to be tipped off that I was searching. Many know the people in the other department to which I've applied, however I am concerned if I leave obvious ones off that it may raise eyebrows with the hiring manager that something may be amiss. My other professional references are 5 years old. What should I do?

Answer
Hi Yadira,

Let me see if I understand what you are saying: you don't want to work in the department where you are now employed and you want to move to another department.  I am assuming both departments are with the same overall employer, correct?

You have references in your current department but don't want to list any of them because no one knows you are looking to make a change, right?  But if you don't list the references you have, you are afraid the hiring manager might be suspicious?

I am not sure what you are concerned with regarding the hiring manager.  If he or she knows you are wanting to change positions, why is that an issue for you?  If you don't want anyone within the organization to know you want to change departments, how do you propose to do that if you don't tell anyone?  Sorry, but I am afraid I am confused about what you are proposing.

It seems to me that if you are trying to shift departments within the same organization, SOMEONE needs to know that, correct?  Certainly the head of the department you want to move to needs to know and, I am assuming, there is a position open there.  I am afraid you have only one recourse (unless there is something here I don't understand) and that is to make your views known to both departments, list the references, and let people know that this is a move you are contemplating because you believe it to be in your best professional interest.

I don't know how you do what you want to do any other way.

Good luck!

Resume Help

Ralph D. Converse, Ph.D.