Resume Help/Resume Question: To Include or Not Include

Question
So I have a bit of a unique situation. I worked at a company for 2.5 years in an entry level position. After graduating college (going to school for said industry my job is in - hospitality) and as my manager was leaving, I fell into the management position. I worked successfully (although stressed out of my mind) for 2 months before having symptoms which prevented me from working in said position (the stress would always be there and my manager basically told me that) and was diagnosed with MS. Basically, I spoke with my manager to let her know the stress would be too much for me to handle at this stage in my life and we agreed to put me in a supervisory role instead. Well, a month into this new role and I am still being expected to perform majority of the functions as a manager and my manager is not understanding.

Anyway, I am looking to apply to other companies in my industry but in an actual supervisory or even entry level position. However, I am confused if I should include the manager and/or supervisor positions on my resume. On the one hand for the past four months I have been completing many of the same tasks, but under two different titles. However, I don't want this situation to prevent me from landing an interview.

Thanks so much!

Answer
Hi Kelly,

Employers are typically interested in your skill set, so use acquired skills to your advantage. When you list this position on the resume, use the most recent job title, with comprehensive dates at the company. Under this section, include an entry for each position and list the contributions you have made.

Job Title, Name of Company, Location, MM/YYYY-MM/YYYY
Name of Management Position (Dates) - Contributions
Name of Entry Level Position (Dates) - Contributions

During an interview, respond to inquiries about management experience by simply stating that although you have performed in management roles, you excel in and prefer positions that offer opportunity to support management through hands-on or supervisory roles, rather than actually managing multiple administrative and operational requirements.

Additionally, consider that when a manager is asking you to assist in higher levels of responsibility, they are complimenting you for your performance and see greater potential. A good Manager will not only use personnel in roles that best meet the goals of the company, but will also provide employees with opportunity for advancement, and support ongoing career progression through professional development. It is OK to say that you do not feel ready for advancement, or that you do not find the added responsibility rewarding, but keep in mind that over time, it may be tough to sit by and watch others advance more quickly. In essence, you have to do what makes you happy, as when you love your job, it isn't work!

I hope this helps you place things in perspective!

Lisa  

Resume Help

Lisa Parker, CPRW