Resume Help/cover letter

i was drafting a cover letter for the position of a teacher.i dont know the exact we have to mention our name on the top?what about the subject of the letter?what is the difference between a job application and a cover letter?please help.

Hi Anabell,

My suggestion is that you use the same letterhead format for both your cover letter and resume so that you help create a "brand" for yourself and make it easy for the reader to find your contact information.  Center everything at the top and put a line of separation between the letterhead and the body of the letter.

The cover letter has one specific purpose: to tell the employer that you can do, have done, or have been trained to do everything mentioned in their job announcement.  If you fail to address the specific qualifications and duties the employer wants done, you have failed to provide the employer what they are looking for and you will have missed a chance to set yourself apart from other candidates.  Scan the job announcement carefully, highlight everything they want done, and then address those things in a one-page letter with your signature at the bottom.

The job application and cover letter have very little in common.  The former is a legal document in which you affirm that the basic information they want provided is all true.  The latter is your chance to provide a narrative that states why you are the best candidate for the position.  The two items are completely separate and the letter should never be a restatement of your resume or of the information provided in the application.

My suggestion to you is to attach both your resume and your letter (once you get it done) to an email and send them to me at the address below.  I will be happy to review them for you and give you suggestions on strengthening both.  Remember what these documents are designed to do - get you an interview.  That's it.  And unless you can make them perfect, your chances at that interview are greatly diminished.  So, send them to me and I'll get back to you quickly with a critique.

Best wishes,

Resume Help

Ralph D. Converse, Ph.D.

I can answer questions about general job searches, resume construction, crafting an effective cover letter, and how to prepare for, and conduct, a winning interview. My speciality is the field of education, but I also have extensive background in business and administration. I know what works and what doesn't work and I can make your application package stand out from the rest ... because that is what you have to do.

I have interviewed for, and held, dozens of jobs in a career going back more than 42 years. I have taught at all educational levels including middle school, high school, community college, and university. In more than 42 years of experience on both sides of the job-search process, I have interviewed hundreds of applicants and have reviewed literally tens of thousands of job application packages. I am the author of 12 Mistakes That Got Your Job Application Rejected ... And How To Fix Them! I conduct workshops for job seekers in a variety of locations every year.

Music Educator's Journal, Teaching Music, Music and American Culture (forthcoming, 2013), Last Teacher Standing: The Job is Yours Now! and 12 Mistakes That Got Your Job Application Rejected ... And How To Fix Them!

B.A. New Mexico State University; M.Mus. Southern Illinois University; Ph.D. University of California and University of North Texas

Thousands of individuals