Resume Help/Short-lasting jobs on resume

Hi Ruth,

In August 2015, I left a large law firm job to attend graduate school for a semester, but then went back home starting in January 2016 to look for work, as graduate school wasn't the best option for me at the time. From March to May of this year, I worked at a small law firm doing paralegal stuff, but was recently laid off due to budget cuts and mutual separation issues.

Having said all this, should I leave this two-month job off my resume? I've been told that it's acceptable to leave short-term jobs off, but I'm worried that the potential employment gaps between the large law firm job and now (~9 months or so) would raise some serious red flags with prospective employers when choosing to even interview me. And if I DO list this job on my resume, I'm also considering the possibility of just stating that it was a temporary contract to minimize the "mutual separation issue", even though that's not the most technically accurate thing. For the record though, this small law firm has offerred to be a reference for me.

What are your thoughts on all this?

Dear Chris:

So sorry for this delay in answering this.  It landed in my spam.

I think the best option for you is to stating it was a temporary contract.  Make sure you coordinate that account with the small law firm since they are willing to give you a reference.

Warmly, R. Butler

Resume Help

Ruth Butler

I will answer questions about resumes and how to do well on an interview. I am a former employment counselor and I have owned my own resume and career counseling business since 1982.