Retail Industry/IN THE RED!

Question
Hi Stu,

My daughters and I opened a brick and mortar bridal boutique in September 2013 and we were doing well until we depleted our cash flow with a powerful vendor that was overwhelming, and we learned a powerful lesson as new bridal shop owners.  How do we get back in the black with our existing inventory?  We don't have the cash flow to buy 2015 stock.

Please tell your readers how to purchase inventory and not be finagled by sales people.

Answer
Thanks for the question.

Firstly, I recommend you study "cashflow management and budgeting" - this will ensure you do not over-invest in stock.

You basically need to move your existing stock at cut prices to turn your cash back over.

You can always try approaching the vendor and tell them if they want to continue supplying you, they should help you out with exchanges for current stock. It doesn't make sense for them to burn you and lose you as a customer - so make sure they understand that!

You need to have a sale, and fast. You need to advertise this sale on facebook, in your windows, etc.

As for overwhelming vendors, it's your business, don't spend more than you can afford, and don't be afraid to say no. It is that simple,

All the best

Stu

Retail Industry

Stu Jordan