Retirement Planning/Investing Advice

Question
Hi Richard-
I hope you can offer some advice.  I'm 51, taking classes online for a job that first paycheck should be end Jan.2013- making only $8.00/hr to start. I have $113K in savings, and 16K in ROTH IRA's. One maturing now I'm transferring to savings, one doing 10% avg. for 2 years (index fund), and one only about 1% maturing later next year. I would like to save for retirement and have my money work harder for me. I like the idea of index funds like VFINX. I've heard dividends are the way to go too. My expenses currently do not exceed $1k/mo. total. I feel I should be able to invest at least $50K.  Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your kind time and help.  Have a wonderful day!
Respectfully,
Susie

Answer
the financial qb
the financial qb  
Susie, thanks for your question. Just to clarify that this is not a forum to be used in order to put together a prudent financial profile for you. In addition, that would also entail a greater amount of information and process in order to get a clearer picture of not only where you are now but where you would like to be in the future. It would also entail a close relationship with an advisor who can work closely with you throughout your life too make sure that you get to your destination.

The positives I take from your question is that you have done a decent job at accumulating some savings. However, I can't seem to understand exactly what you are invested in since you mention maturities in the same sentence you mention index funds. However, at this time it is not important. Another positive is that it seems you are very very frugal and don't require much to live on. I am not certain if that is truly realistic going forward but it is indeed admirable because it leaves you with a lot of spending money.

My first suggestion would be to work with a fee advisor who is a Certified Financial Planner to put together a solid plan and process. I would also concentrate on investing as much as possible in a globally allocated portfolio of index funds and make sure you with your advisor with consistent rebalancing of your portfolio. If you invest in such a portfolio it will contain dividend paying stocks in the mix as well so no need to make predictions. You also would want to make sure not to forget some of the basics needed as far as life insurance, health insurance, disability, a good amount of "rainy day" funds.

Hope this helps a little and starts getting you going in the right direction.  

Retirement Planning

Richard E. Reyes, CFP