Retirement Planning/IRA

Question
I recently retired and earlier this year rolled over my 401k with before and after-tax contributions into a traditional IRA.
I also received the RMD for 2012 at the same time.
Can I split my IRA account into two (before December 31, 2012):
one- non-deductible IRA with after-tax assets only and the other-
a traditional IRA with the rest of the assets;
can this be done at the same financial institution or as a transfer to another one, and will it be a taxable event?

Thank you.

Answer
Vera,

Yes, you can have two separate IRAs that segregate out taxable vs no taxable contributions.  I'm not sure of what the advantages to that are. More than likely, your IRA is already keeping track of the contributions that are after tax vs before tax. This will not be a taxable event and where you make the transfer with not affect that.

Retirement Planning

Joe DiDomenico