Retirement Planning/Transfer to IRA

Question
I am 61. Received 20K from QDRO. Do I need to put this in an IRA? If not what are consequences?

Answer
richard @thefinancialqb.com
richard @thefinancialq  

richard @thefinancialqb.com
richard @thefinancialq  
Thank you for your question.

A QDRO is a distribution which was made due to a divorce. You are not required to rollover these dollars into an IRA. The only impact to you is that you will owe the federal and state taxes due on these dollars received if you do not put it back into an IRA. You however will not owe the 10% penalty. In addition, if you spend it now you will not have this money available in the future for your retirement.

I would recommend that you visit this issue with a Certified Financial Planner in your area and go over your own personal situation and how this decision will currently impact you now and into the future.  

Retirement Planning

Richard E. Reyes, CFP