Retirement Planning/401K Withdrawl due to Layoff

Question
I turn 55 in August of this year (2013) and am concerned that due to the Sequester, I may be laid off before I turn 55. Will I be  able to withdrawal from my 401K without penalty if I'm laid off before my birthday?

Answer
Dear Dan,

In order to avoid the Premature Distribution Penalty when taking a distribution from a 401(k), you must be at least 55. However, if you roll the entire account into a pour-over IRA, you could initiate 72(t) distributions from the IRA at any age. As long as you maintain the 72(t) distributions through age 59 1/2 and for at least five years (both qualifiers are necessary), you will eliminate the PDP.

Also, there are other distributions that qualify for waiver of the PDP, when drawn from an IRA. Not knowing your situation, I do not know whether these would be suitable, should you exercise the 72(t).

Willard R. Brumbaugh, LUTCF
CA License 0374776
(888) 792-2379

Retirement Planning

Willard R. Brumbaugh, LUTCF