Retirement Planning/Roth

What is required to convert and transfer my IRA funded with after tax money to my Roth IRA?
Thank you

The Financial QB
The Financial QB  
K, thanks for your question. This is a rather simple process but often confusing since the tax consequence is tricky. First anyone can convert their Traditional IRA into a Roth IRA during the tax year and it does not have to be an "all or nothing" proposition. Meaning you can make a conversion of a percentage of your Traditional IRA over time, or one time, or convert 100% at one time. The amount you convert is up to you. However, be prepared to pay the tax on the conversion for the tax year in which the conversion was made.

Here is the tricky part and this is where I would consult with your accountant and financial advisor. What tax will you owe on the conversion of a Traditional IRA which was made with after-tax money? Meaning one cannot specify which dollars of the Traditional IRA to convert to a Roth.

The tax calculation is easy if you've made only tax-deductible contributions. In that case, you'll have to pay taxes on the entire balance when you convert a traditional IRA to a Roth IRA. But the money can grow tax-free after that. If you've made both tax-deductible and nondeductible contributions to your traditional IRAs, then your tax bill will be based on the ratio of nondeductible contributions to the total balance in all of your traditional IRAs. If your total balance is $100,000, for example, of which $20,000 represents nondeductible contributions, then 20% of any conversion would be tax-free.

Please make sure to consult your account and your financial advisor before taking the time to do a conversion since you do not want a tax surprise the following year.  

Retirement Planning

Richard E. Reyes, CFP

I can provide answers to questions relating to retirement especially relating to; income distribution, tax efficiency, long-term care insurance, life insurance, estate planning, asset protection, variable and fixed annuities, alternative investments and prudent portfolio design.

Through the years Richard has built a reputation as one of Central Florida's expert on retirement income distribution by providing sound, unbiased wealth coaching. We believe that Financial Planning is the problem and Wealth Coaching is the solution. The Wealth Coaching process gives you Peace of Mind, so you can stop worrying about your future. It helps you find happiness as it guides you in the TRUTH of investing, by teaching you how to make wise choices as you journey through your life’s stages. It is all about your relationships and what you value, not your net worth.

Seminole Success Magazine “Retirement Planning” Seminole Success Magazine “Small Business Snapshot” The Orlando Sentinel – Ask the Expert Financial Section (Various) Greater Orlando Broker Agent Magazine “The New It” Senior Market Advisor “Random Reader, Random Questions”

B.S. University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
CFP Certificate, University of Central Florida, Orlando, FL