Retirement Planning/401k Roll Over and WIthdrawal

I currently have $26k in an employee-based 401k provider at which I'm no longer an employee of for the past two years. Understanding the tax penalties involved, I will have to pull $14k from the account. Massmutual is required to withhold 20% for taxes..does it matter if I withdraw now or wait until I roll funds into another account. My question is..should I roll over the $26 into a Vanguard ROTH Star fund or SEP? I currently own a S-Corp it better to open a SOLO 401k thru my company and make contributions then?

The Financial Quarterback
The Financial Quarterb  
Thanks for your question. I appreciate allowing me to be of service.

We have some issues going on here that its important you understand. First thing is that you will be making a Pre-59 1/2 withdraw which will not only cause you to pay federal income tax but also a 10% penalty. Every company is different when it comes to partial withdraws. Some will take out an automatic 20% others will not. When its a full withdraw is when most companies will take out the 20% for taxes. In your particular case you owe the tax if you make a withdraw. Whether you pay it now or pay it later we start splitting hairs and possibly can lead to trouble down the road in case you have to pay a penalty due to underpayment of taxes or quite possibly spending the money before you paid the taxes.

Secondly, if you convert everything to a Roth as stated you will owe taxes on the entire $26,000 and a 10% penalty of the $14,000 you withdrew because you did not allow for 5 year aging on Roth conversions.

Thirdly, there are some differences between a Traditional IRA, Simple IRA, SEP, Roth, and Solo 401k. They have different advantages and different funding options. I would suggest the first question to answer is, "How much are you planning to contribute yearly?" and then decide which plan fits the best or maybe a combination between a Roth and Traditional.

However, if you are considering making a withdraw of these dollars currently then I would suggest that you are probably not ready to begin contributions.

I would take some time to meet with a Certified Financial Planner to go over your specific individual circumstance and start formulating a plan of action that will accomplish your goals and needs.

Thanks Again.  

Retirement Planning

Richard E. Reyes, CFP

I can provide answers to questions relating to retirement especially relating to; income distribution, tax efficiency, long-term care insurance, life insurance, estate planning, asset protection, variable and fixed annuities, alternative investments and prudent portfolio design.

Through the years Richard has built a reputation as one of Central Florida's expert on retirement income distribution by providing sound, unbiased wealth coaching. We believe that Financial Planning is the problem and Wealth Coaching is the solution. The Wealth Coaching process gives you Peace of Mind, so you can stop worrying about your future. It helps you find happiness as it guides you in the TRUTH of investing, by teaching you how to make wise choices as you journey through your life’s stages. It is all about your relationships and what you value, not your net worth.

Seminole Success Magazine “Retirement Planning” Seminole Success Magazine “Small Business Snapshot” The Orlando Sentinel – Ask the Expert Financial Section (Various) Greater Orlando Broker Agent Magazine “The New It” Senior Market Advisor “Random Reader, Random Questions”

B.S. University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
CFP Certificate, University of Central Florida, Orlando, FL