Retirement Planning/Social Security

Question
My aunt is 65 and has been receiving SS benefits for two years from her deceased husband.  Soon, she expects to start collecting her own SS.  Can she get both?  What are her options and how can she optimize her benefits?  Thanks.

Answer
Hi Larry,

She can not get both, but she will get whatever amount is higher. If it works out to her benefit, she could also wait to take hers at age 70 while still collecting from your uncles SS so that she receives a higher amount. She will need to get an estimate of what hers will be at the different ages to see if it is worth doing that way.

I hope this helps!

Dave

Retirement Planning

David M Iannopollo