Retirement Planning/Spousal Benefit

Hi Mr. Sid,
My husband and I are about 10 years away from retiring and just heard some advice about the SS Spousal Benefit. The advice was for the primary worker to file and suspend benefits when reaching full retirement age, and for the other spouse (I'm about a year behind him) at the same time to file an application for spousal benefits only. Then both would take the full benefits when the younger spouse hits full retirement age. But I have a good job and my SS benefits will be nearly as high as my husband's, so would I even qualify for spousal benefits?
Thanks so much!

thefinancail qb
thefinancail qb  
As long as you are married or were married in the past for over 10 years (and did not remarry) you are eligible for spousal benefits. There are over 80+ different combinations for spouses when it comes time for you to begin taking SS benefits. I would definitely go to an advisor or individual who can provide you with a calculations on how to best arrange such benefits. SS Administration is not set up to help individuals with that.  

Retirement Planning

Richard E. Reyes, CFP

I can provide answers to questions relating to retirement especially relating to; income distribution, tax efficiency, long-term care insurance, life insurance, estate planning, asset protection, variable and fixed annuities, alternative investments and prudent portfolio design.

Through the years Richard has built a reputation as one of Central Florida's expert on retirement income distribution by providing sound, unbiased wealth coaching. We believe that Financial Planning is the problem and Wealth Coaching is the solution. The Wealth Coaching process gives you Peace of Mind, so you can stop worrying about your future. It helps you find happiness as it guides you in the TRUTH of investing, by teaching you how to make wise choices as you journey through your life’s stages. It is all about your relationships and what you value, not your net worth.

Seminole Success Magazine “Retirement Planning” Seminole Success Magazine “Small Business Snapshot” The Orlando Sentinel – Ask the Expert Financial Section (Various) Greater Orlando Broker Agent Magazine “The New It” Senior Market Advisor “Random Reader, Random Questions”

B.S. University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
CFP Certificate, University of Central Florida, Orlando, FL