Retirement Planning/Social Security

Question
Hello:

My retirement age for Social Security is 66 and 2 months. What is the purpose of the 2 months? Why not just at age 66?  

I thank you for your reply.

Answer
Hi Kenneth,
This is due to the year you were born (1955?). You could take your SS earlier but to get the full 100% benefit, you have to wait until you are age 66 and 2 months. For those born between 1955 and 1960, the 100% retirement benefit age goes up 2 months per year until it becomes age 67 if you were born in 1960. This chart shows you how they are calculated if you were born after 1954: http://www.ssa.gov/retire2/agereduction.htm

Hope this helps!

Dave  

Retirement Planning

David M Iannopollo