Retirement Planning/Social Security Question

Question
i will be 62 in November, i am retired and receiving retirement pay from former employer.  My ex husband is 72 (we were married more than 10 years)  my question is:   can i take Social Security from his at 62  and switch to mine at 66?i have spoken to people in their office and got 3 different answers.  
thank you

Answer
Richard E. Reyes, CFP
Richard E. Reyes, CFP  
Sorry for the delay as sometimes these questions go into our "junk" file. I would first contact a Certified Financial Planner in your area to go over your situation and review if this makes sense for you and how to "marry" your social security benefits with your current assets and income now and in the future. The issue may arise that since you are only 62, you may well be in a position where you will be paying your social security back due to penalty or taxes due to your income.

If you file for social security benefits before you reach full retirement age, your options will be limited. For example, if you file early, social security automatically gives you the larger of your own benefit, or a spousal (or ex-spousal) benefit. If you file early, you cannot take an ex-spouse benefit and then switch to your own benefit when you reach full retirement age.

Hope this helps!

Thanks for your question.  

Retirement Planning

Richard E. Reyes, CFP