Retirement Planning/Social Security

Question
QUESTION: I am 67 and have been collecting social security since I was 62. My husband is 64.  Since I am past full retirement age, can my husband draw a portion of my benefit (I know it would be reduced since he is just 64), and draw his full benefit later (when he is 66 or 70)?

The Financial Quarterback
The Financial Quarterb  
ANSWER: Thank you for your question. Sorry for the delay as the question went into our spam folder.

If his spousal benefit is less than his individual benefit he may begin collecting his spousal benefit. When he reaches FRA he can switch that to his individual benefit.

Hope this helps.

QUESTION: Would he get  half  of my reduced benefit (at age 62) or half of what my benefit would have been at 66?
thanks so much!

Answer
The best solution would be for you to contact social security or go online to the social security website and get a print out for your benefits and his benefits. This should give you better information as too which claiming strategy will provide the best solution. Remember, that if he is under FRA and working social security benefits will be penalized. In addition, if you are over $32,000 in AGI then a portion of your social security is taxed. So you want to weigh these options.

Retirement Planning

Richard E. Reyes, CFP