Retirement Planning/SS at 64

Question
I am now unemployed and want to start collecting Social Security benefits next month when I turn 64.  My question is can I switch to benefits to half of my ex-husband's when I turn 66?
Thanks

Answer
The Financial Quarterback
The Financial Quarterb  
First thing is to receive the information from the Social Security Admin and go over this information with them and with a Certified Financial Planner to understand how these benefits marry with your other retirement income, assets, and taxes.

First, you must have been married to your ex-spouse for at least 10 years. Second, you must be at least 62. Third, you must be unmarried currently. And fourth, you can't be entitled to a higher Social Security benefit on your own accord.

Assuming you satisfy this four-part test, in turn, you have effectively the same rights vis-a-vis your spousal share of an ex's Social Security. Namely, while the ex is living, you're entitled to as much as 50% of his or her monthly payout. And when that person dies, you assume survivor's benefits, which qualify you for as much as 100% of the deceased ex-spouse's benefits.

Retirement Planning

Richard E. Reyes, CFP