Retirement Planning/widow benefits

Question
I am 62 years old and I want to know if I can get my husbands social security benefit he has been deceased for 34years. I work full time  and I am retiring next year 2015 but can I claim widow benefits now

Answer
Richard E. Reyes, CFP
Richard E. Reyes, CFP  
Thanks for your question. I would suggest that you meet with a Certified Financial Planner in your area of the country who can put together a more thorough review of your benefits and how they can be "married into" your entire plan.

In reference to your question you can begin widow benefits as early as 60. However, it will be a reduced benefit since you are under full retirement age. If you qualify for retirement benefits on your record, you can switch to your own retirement benefit as early as age 62.

Hope this helps.  

Retirement Planning

Richard E. Reyes, CFP